Work Permit

Home Work Permit

Work Permit

Canada Work Permit, also known as a Work Visa, is issued to eligible individuals from overseas to work in the country for a specific period of time.

Individuals are required to apply for a Work Visa only after receiving a job offer or employment contract from a Canadian employer. The employer must obtain an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) from ESDC (Employment and Social Development Canada), which grants permission to recruit skilled foreign workers for occupations that cannot be filled by Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

As one of the world’s leading economies, Canada is an attractive destination for individuals seeking work opportunities abroad. The Canadian Work Permit Visa allows business people, permanent workers, temporary workers, students, and others to work in Canada. Typically, applicants need to have a job offer in order to apply for the work permit visa. Visa Hive, with its end-to-end overseas career solutions, can assist you in finding a job and applying for a Canadian Work Permit Visa.

Eligibility for Canada Work Permit Visa: Applicants must provide proof of eligibility to take up the job offer. To apply for a Canada Work Permit from India, certain requirements need to be met. Documents must be submitted in either English.

The Canada Work Permit Visa is suitable for temporary workers, foreign graduates from Canadian universities, businessmen, and others who need to work in Canada.

Who can apply for an open work permit? You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • Are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
  • Are a student who is no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student).
  • Have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada.
  • Have applied for permanent residence in Canada.
  • Are a dependent family member of someone who has applied for permanent residence.
  • Are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student.
  • Are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Program.
  • Are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person, or their family member.
  • Are under an unenforceable removal order.
  • Are a temporary resident permit holder.
  • Are a young worker participating in special programs.

Document required:

  • A valid passport with a validity of more than 6 months from the planned date of arrival in Canada.
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs.
  •  Educational qualification certificates.
  • Proof of professional qualifications, including work experience.
  • Proof of adequate financial resources to cover expenses during the stay in Canada.
  • Medical examination required to be done at registered hospitals.
  • Application fee.

Applicants should also be able to convince immigration officials that they will return to their home country after the end of their employment.

A Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) document is required from your employer. They should have proof of extending an offer to you through the Employer Portal or paying the employer compliance fee.

Types of Work Permits: There are two types of work permits or work visas available:

1. Open Work Permit: An Open Work Permit, also known as an International Mobility Program for Canada, allows the holder to work in any job. Unlike other work permits, it does not restrict the individual to a specific employer, enabling them to change employers as long as the permit is valid. This permit is typically issued to Temporary Foreign Workers for a duration of 6 months or less. It allows for flexibility in employment as long as the employer is accepted by the Canadian Government and engages in activities accepted by the Government.

2. Closed Work Permit : Canada operates the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) as a means to supplement its workforce when there are no qualified workers in Canada available for a particular job. Employers seeking to hire foreign workers in Canada often need to submit a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application to the Canadian government. The reviewing Canadian government employee must determine that hiring a foreign worker will have a positive or neutral effect on the Canadian labor market. Among other factors, it must be evident that no qualified Canadians were overlooked in favor of the foreign worker and that the foreign worker will receive a salary and benefits that adhere to federal and provincial standards.